Overview: If you are here then, it might be that you have received this error message “unfortunately the process.com.android.phone has stopped” on your Android smartphone or tablet.
In this blog you will learn about why this error occurs and different methods to fix “unfortunately the process.com.android.phone has stopped”.
What is “Unfortunately the Process.com.android.phone Has Stopped” Error
When this error occurs then it means that you will not be able to use your application on your Android devices. It is a common error that can occur to any Android phone or tablet users and they may encounter with this error at one point or another.
You may say that this is a bug that needs to be fixed or else you will not be able to use your Android device properly.
Reasons Behind This Error Message?
Here are some common causes that are responsible for the occurrence of this error message:
- Due to failed firmware update or OS update
- Installation of a new ROM
- Due to major modification to data
- It can also occur after performing Factory Reset or Data Restore
- After updating Android OS to latest version of Android OS
For example let us take real user experience
I have just done my Verizon update on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Before update, my samrtphone was working perfectly, but now I get this error message “unfortunately the process.com.android.phone has stopped” on my S7 Edge every few second and I can’t do anything. Are there any solutions to solve this error message?
Since this is a bug and it looks quite disturbing, but this error does have solutions that you can follow to fix it.
Note: But before you proceed further to fix this error message, it is recommended that you must backup your data first, You can take help of MobileTrans Phone To Phone Transfer, which provide very easy way to backup all your data.
Different Methods To Solve “Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped” Error
In order to fix the Android error message “Unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped”, whether you are getting this error message on Samsung Galaxy, LG, Lenovo, HTC, Sony, Xiaomi, Motorola, Panasonic, Acer, Asus or on any other Android Phones/Tablets, you can always try the following methods to fix this error.
Method 1: Clear Cache on the Android Device
This is one of the easy and simple solutions to fix this error:
On Android 4.2 and higher OS version:
- Go to Settings>Storage
- Look for “Cached Data” and click on it. A pop-up window will get displayed asking the confirmation from you to clear cache.
- Simply, tap on OK. That’s it.
In older Android OS version
You have to clear cache on each app individually:
- Go to Settings>Apps
- It will display the list of apps. Now select any one of the app and tap on it.
- It will display the App info, you can see the Clear Cache button, just tap on it and clear cache.
- You have to repeat the same process for each individual apps.
Now, check problem has been resolved or not. If not then follow next Method.
Method 2 – Clear Cache and Data of the Phone App
This is also very simple, easy and very effective solution in solving “unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped”. Below follow the steps:
- Go to Settings>Apps
- Once the Manage Application gets open, now select “All” which is mentioned at the top of the screen
- Now from there “Navigate” to section Phone App. Once you reach there, tap on “Clear Cache and Clear Data”
- Now Reboot your phone so that changes can take effect.
Method 3: Clear Cache and Data on the SIM Toolkit
You can also try this solution to get rid of ‘Unfortunately the Process com.android.phone has Stopped’ error message. Just clear the Cache and Data of the SIM Toolkit. Here how to do it:
- Go to Settings> Apps> SIM Toolkit
- Now simply Clear Data and Clear Cache of the SIM Toolkit
Now Reboot your android device and see whether your problem has been resolved or not. If not then follow next Method.
Method 4: Wipe Cache Partition on Your Android Phone (data will not get deleted!)
This is another solution to fix this error, below find out what you need to do:
You have Switch OFF your Android phone by long pressing the Power ON/OFF button. Now you have press and hold the following key combination:
- Power On / Off
- Volume +
- Home button
When your phone vibrates, immediately release the Power ON/OFF button, but you must still hold the Volume + & Home button until and unless a Menu appears on the screen.
Once the Menu appear, you can use Volume Up and Down button to navigate. Select “Wipe Cache Partition” and confirm it by pressing the “Power ON/OFF” button to delete the cache. And thereafter, select “Reboot Phone” to reboot your phone. That’s all!
After which the error should no longer appear when you try to open any app. However, if you are still experiencing the error then follow the last solution mentioned in next Method.
Method 5: Reboot Phone
You will get lots of solution to fix the error if you search on Google and among several, rebooting your device can make you get rid of the error. Several users have reported about this issue while making calls or sending messages.
So try to reboot your device and after that check whether the problem is solved or not. If still the problem occurs then move to the next method.
Method 6: Stop automatic updates
In one of the survey it was suggested that if the automatic update option is stopped then users can get rid of such unwanted error. Follow the steps below:
- Go to Play Store and click on Menu option
- Now tap on Settings and click on Auto-update apps
- Here select do not auto-update apps option
Method 7: Uninstall all the recently downloaded apps
If you have downloaded any apps recently then it is suggested to uninstall those apps immediately. Those apps can create a problem and users can face issues on their devices.
Simply go to Settings > App manager > click Download and then remove the apps you have installed recently. Tap on applications and then click on Uninstall.
Method 8: Factory Reset [Last Option]
You must use this solution as a last resort to solve ‘Unfortunately the Process com.android.phone has Stopped’. To perform Factory you have to follow below steps:
- Turn OFF your Android phone as you normally do
- Now press and hold Volume Up, Home & Power buttons altogether until your phone vibrates
- Once the phone vibrates release the Power button, but do hold the other two button until you see the Android Logo
- Once you see the Android Logo, release both the button
- You can now backup and perform Factory Reset
You should try each and every method until and unless your Android ‘Unfortunately the Process com.android.phone has Stopped’ error is not solved. However, if Method 1 to Method 4 fails, then you must opt for Method 5.
I hope the above solution might have helped you to fix ‘Unfortunately, the Process com.android.phone has Stopped’ error and you are able to use your Android smartphone/tablet as you were using it earlier.