We all are familiar with WhatsApp App that is very much popular for sending and receiving messages and photos from colleagues, friends, family members, relatives and others.
Around 6000 million users are active every month on WhatsApp. And now it covers business and transaction too.
But there is always a chance of getting error while using this app.
Many users have reported that they have encountered “WhatsApp keeps crashing” or “WhatsApp keeps stopping” error on Android while accessing it.
Now this kind of error can occur anytime to any user as app crashing issue is a common thing.
So if you are coming across the same error message on WhatsApp then you should read this blog carefully. Here you will get some troubleshooting tips for WhatsApp keeps crashing on Android.
But before that, let me show you an example of the error message to make you clear about the issue.
I don’t know if anyone has this problem but whatsapp keeps crashing and stops working whenever i try to access the main menu. It also occurs if i try to attach a video or photo to a chat. Has anyone else had this problem? I am running on a non rooted phone with cm12 with android 5.0.2.
If you have had this problem how did you fix it?
I have tried clearing the cache, clearing the data, uninstalling and reinstalling the app. All of these methods don’t work. Help?
To Fix WhatsApp Keeps Crashing On Android, we recommend this tool:
This effective tool can fix Android issues such as boot loop, black screen, bricked Android, etc. in no time. Just follow these 3 easy steps:
- Download this Android System Repair tool (for PC only) rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
- Launch the program and select brand, name, model, country/region, and carrier & click Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions & wait for repair process to complete.
How To Fix WhatsApp Keeps Crashing On Android?
OK, I can understand the problem you are facing as you are not able to access WhatsApp anymore.
So here are some best ways to fix “WhatsApp keeps stopping” Android that will surely help you to use the app without any error.
Way 1: Check For WhatsApp Errors
The very first thing you should do whenever you come across any error related to apps is you should check if the app itself has error. Several times, it happens that WhatsApp has some problem from its server and it continues to keep crashing or freezing.
It may be the problem of coding that is preventing from accessing the app.
So in this situation, you should check on Google if any update has come related to the error. If yes then you will also get the solutions over there as well.
Way 2: Restart Your Android Phone
As I always say that whenever you encounter error message on your Android phone, then instead of looking for other solutions, you should restart your device first.
Believe it or not but restarting the device has a power to fix small bugs or glitches that occurs on phone. In addition, it closes all apps running on background and you have to use them again which is a good way to remove any errors.
So this is a useful and helpful way to solve WhatsApp keeps crashing on Android. Try this method first and if you still come across the same error then move to next solution.
Way 3: Force Stop WhatsApp
After rebooting your phone, if you still face the same issue then you should Force Stop the WhatsApp app. Doing this will restart the app once again and you might not get such error any more.
So here’s what you have to do:
- First, open Settings > Apps on your phone
- Then choose WhatsApp from the list and click on Force Stop
Doing this change, if the option is not greyed out then it means that WhatsApp has crashed but its backend process is still running.
So here, you have to restart your device again and then check if the error exists again.
Way 4: Update WhatsApp To Latest
You might have noticed that every app needs to be updated after sometime and this is important too. Updating the app on regular basis ensures that there are no bugs or difficulty in accessing it.
There may occur some minor bugs that completely ruin the app performance. But after updating it, all these kinds of issues are solved.
So here it is important to check if any update is available for WhatsApp because there is a chance to get rid of WhatsApp keeps crashing on Android.
Follow the steps:
- First, go to Google Play Store on your Android phone
- Then click on three horizontal lines and tap on My Apps & Games
- There you will find the list of installed apps and an update option beside each of them if available
- Go to WhatsApp and check if Update is available. If yes then immediately click on it.
Doing this will update your WhatsApp to latest version and hopefully, now WhatsApp will not crash anymore.
Way 5: Clear WhatsApp Cache And Data
Another possible way to access WhatsApp as before is by clearing WhatsApp cache and data. May be the cache and data files are corrupted that is creating issue.
You don’t have to worry about data loss because this will not wipe your saved files or data on phone. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to Home screen where you can see all your apps
- Now click on Settings > Apps > App Manager
- Then search for WhatsApp and click on it
- Now click on Storage > Clear Cache and Clear Data
Doing this will clear all cached data and files from the app and hopefully, now you will not face any issue while using WhatsApp.
Way 6: Uninstall And Reinstall WhatsApp
When your WhatsApp still crashes or freezes then the app might itself is a problem. In this situation, you should uninstall the app and again reinstall WhatsApp.
But before you do it, kindly backup all important stuffs and after that, follow the below process:
- First, go to Settings > Apps and then move down and select and click on WhatsApp
- You will see Uninstall option, simply click on it
- Doing this will uninstall WhatsApp from phone and now reboot your device
- After this, open Google Play Store and search WhatsApp > click on Install option
- Accept the permission when a popup occurs and install the app
- After everything is done, open WhatsApp and access it.
You might not face errors as before and this means that the problem is resolved.
Way 7: Reboot Device In Safe Mode
When nothing goes on your mind then you should reboot your device in safe mode. This is because many times, installing any third party apps lead to several issues on phone and some apps misbehave.
So to check this, you have to start your phone in safe mode. The steps are as follows:
- Press and hold Power button unless you get Power off option on screen
- Now hold Power Off unless Safe Mode occurs
- Then click on Safe Mode to confirm
- After few seconds, you will “Safe Mode” option
In this mode, all third party app are disabled. Now use your WhatsApp and see if the same problem is seen again. If not then make sure the error is because of third party apps.
So you should uninstall any third party apps you have installed recently and then see if the problem is resolved or not.
Way 8: Clear Cache Memory On Android Phone
In fact, the error can be also because of corrupted cache files on your Android phone. So after clearing the app cache and data files, you should also clear device cache memory once if the same issue is encountered again and again.
- First, go to Settings on your Android phone
- Then move to “Storage” or “Memory” (depends on manufacturers)
- After that, look for Cached Data
- You will see the amount of cached data
- Now you should click on it and a popup box will appear asking whether you want to delete cache memory or not
- Simply click on “OK” and all your cached memory will be cleared out. Now you should check if the error is fixed or not.
Way 9: Use Mobile Data Or Wi-Fi
WhatsApp keeps stopping on Android can also occurs because of connectivity issue. Many times, WhatsApp don’t get enough data required for smooth access.
In this situation, you should switch from mobile data to Wi-Fi or vice-versa. This can help you from unexpected error on Android. If your app works fine on Wi-Fi then it’s a mobile data connectivity issue that is creating problem.
So now you can make better decision on which connectivity you would like to access WhatsApp.
Way 10: Reset Network Settings
As you know that there might be a connectivity issue, so once you should also reset network settings on your phone. This will ensure you to give proper network to use WhatsApp without any error.
So here is how to reset network settings:
- Go to Settings > click on General Management
- Now click on Reset > then on Reset Network Settings
- Then click on Reset Settings to confirm
- And at last, Restart your phone and check if the problem is resolved
Way 11: Do Factory Reset Of Your Device
Factory reset is the last resort to fix WhatsApp keeps crashing Android. But it is also important to note that this process will wipe away every stored data from phone.
Because factory reset will make your device new as it will reset to original factory settings.
Therefore, before you follow the steps below, you should backup all your essential stuffs from phone to avoid any kind of data loss situation.
Now follow the below steps:
- First, go to Settings > click on Backup and Reset
- Now click on “Reset all data” and enter PIN or password
- At last, click on “Erase Everything” and wait for some time until the process is finished
- Don’t interrupt in between the process and also keep your device battery to 20%
Well, WhatsApp keeps crashing or WhatsApp keeps stopping is a common error message that plenty of users have come through it. So to deal with all such error message and to access WhatsApp smoothly, I have discussed several ways to fix it.
Do remember that if you are getting WhatsApp keeps crashing Samsung then also following these solutions will definitely help you to get rid of the error.
James Leak is a technology expert and lives in New York. Previously, he was working on Symbian OS and was trying to solve many issues related to it. From childhood, he was very much interested in technology field and loves to write blogs related to Android and other OS. So he maintained that and currently, James is working for androiddata-recovery.com where he contribute several articles about errors/issues or data loss situation related to Android. He keeps daily updates on news or rumors or what is happening in this new technology world. Apart from blogging, he loves to travel, play games and reading books.