Snapchat filters not working problem occurs when users try to use filters to take their snaps but the filters fail to work. The problem is very frustrating as it won’t let the users use filters for taking snaps. So, if you are one of the users facing the same problem using the Snapchat filters, try fixing the issue by enabling the Snapchat filter feature or reinstalling the app.
However, there are more other fixes that you can try to fix this problem. Therefore, we have prepared this article which includes all the effective fixes that will let you out of this problem. So, go through this guide to know the causes as well as their effective fixes.
What Snapchat Filters Are Used For?
Well, Snapchat filters are very popular around the world for making the snaps more fun and interesting. However, below are some additional benefits of Snapchat filters:
- You can personalize your snaps.
- Adds overlay or additional effect to your snaps.
- It contains numerous events like location, holiday, time, day, etc.
- Users can add sound to their snaps and videos using filters.
Why the Snapchat Filters are Not Working?
- Internet issue- If the internet connection is slow on your device, it can trouble you with this problem.
- Server problem- Server problem is another reason that causes Snapchat filters unable to work on Android phones So if the Snapchat server is running through downtime or an outage problem, you might encounter such a problem.
- Corrupt Snapchat cache- Sometimes, too many Snapchat app caches may restrict the filters from working. Also, the app cache with time gets corrupted which further affects the Snapchat filters from working.
- Android Lagging Problem- If your Android device is running too many apps and due to which facing lagging issues or running slow then it may affect your Snapchat filters.
- Incomplete or corrupt installation- In case you have an incomplete or interrupted installation of the Snapchat app, you are going to face such an issue on the app. A corrupt installation leads to file corruption which further conflicts with the app and restricts some of its features such as filters from working.
- Outdated Android Device- If you are running an outdated software version on your Android device then you may run into this problem. As most of the time, it has been noticed that outdated version of your device starts conflicting with the latest apps and cause such problems.
- Taking Snaps in dim-light areas– In case you are trying to take snaps using filters in dim light surroundings, you may encounter Snapchat filters not working problem. As in dim light surroundings, your face won’t be recognizable or detectable and hence filters are unable to work.
How To Fix Snapchat Filters Not Working Problem?
Method1: Check Your Device Internet Connectivity
To use Snapchat filters smoothly you must have a high-speed internet connection on your Android device. So, in case you are not having sufficient or stable internet on your device, you might find Snapchat filters keep on loading, Snapchat filters are not working on Android, etc issues.
Therefore, it is suggested to check your internet connection first when faced with such an issue as it is the major reason that prohibits your Snapchat filters from working. Also, you can check your internet speed through SpeedTest. In case found unstable or weak, try stabilizing the internet.
Method 2: Verify Snapchat Server
If found your internet stable and enough to support Snapchat filters but still facing the problem then it must be because of the server issue. So, the next thing you have to do is to check for the Snapchat servers. Sometimes, server downtime or outage issues can also restrict the filters from working.
You can check the server issue through the official Snapchat Twitter page. If found under maintenance or is running through downtime, the best you can do is to wait for the servers to fix their issues.
Method 3: Restart Your Android Device
It has already been highlighted above that your Android’s device internal problems such as lagging, crashing, etc can also be responsible for this issue on Snapchat. As the too old device runs slow, the Snapchat filters might find it difficult in working. So, here we suggest you restart your Android device once to fix the problem.
Also, if restarting won’t fix your problem, you can go for our professional Android Repair Tool to resolve your various Android device’s internal problems. Follow the user guide to use the tool effectively.
Method 4: Turn On the Android Device Location
Some of the filters need your location to work. So, you need to turn on the location on your Android device to use all the Snapchat filters. Follow the below step-by-step instructions to enable your device’s location.
- Open Settings on your Android device.
- Then, go to the Apps or App Management section.
- Now, select Snapchat from the appeared app list.
- On the next appeared screen, go to Permissions and click on Location permission.
- Select the option as per your preference.
Once done with the above steps, open the Snapchat app and check if the filters are working or not.
Method 5: Enable Snapchat Filters
Another possible reason hindering the Snapchat filters from working is the disabled Snapchat filters option. So, here you just need to enable this option from the settings and you are good to go for using Snapchat filters.
- Open the Snapchat app on your Android device.
- Next, click on your Profile icon in the top-left corner.
- Then, click on the Gear icon (i.e Settings).
- Scroll down to the Additional Services section under Settings and tap the option Manage.
- Toggle on the button for Filters to enable.
Method 6: Delete Snapchat App Cache
Sometimes, an overloaded Snapchat app cache may cause Snapchat filters unable to work on Android phones. Therefore, it is recommended to clear the cache timely to avoid getting such problems. Also, follow the below steps to flush the overloaded cache on Snapchat:
- Launch Snapchat on your Android device.
- Tap the Profile icon on the top-left side.
- Next, click the Gear icon (Settings) at the top-right corner.
- Now, scroll down to the Accounts Actions category and tap the Clear Cache option.
- Tap on Continue when prompted.
- Lastly, exit the app and re-open it to check if the Snapchat filters are working or not.
Method 7: Update the Snapchat App
At times, the older or outdated version of the app also triggers such issues. So, if you are using the older version of the app, it is suggested to update to the latest version to get past the issue.
Perform the below steps to update the Snapchat app:
- Go to Google Play Store app on your phone.
- Click on the Profile icon on the top-right side.
- Then, select the My apps & games option.
- Here, scroll down to the Snapchat app and see if any updates are available for the app.
- If available, tap the Update button next to the Snapchat app.
- Once updated, open the app and check for the issue.
Method 8: Install Android Latest Version
If you are operating on an older Android version then it may occur such problem on the Snapchat app. As outdated software may not be capable of running such features on the app thereby restricting the filters from working. So, install the latest software to get past the issue.
Below are the steps to update the Android version:
- Open Settings of your Android phone.
- Then, navigate to the Software update option and click on it.
- Here, on the next screen, you’ll find the latest version if any is available.
- Click on the Download Now button to initialize the downloading process.
- Wait for the software to get downloaded.
- After downloading, your device will automatically reboot.
Once restarted, open the Snapchat app and check whether the filters are working or not.
Method 9: Use the Snapchat in Well Light-up Surroundings
Lastly, if none of the above methods help you to get rid of this problem then it may be because you are taking a snap in a dim light surrounding. Because in dim or low-light surrounding the Snapchat camera won’t be able to detect your face properly due to which filters fails to work. Therefore, try taking snaps in a broad daylight or in well-light-up surroundings.
So, above are a bunch of effective methods that will help you to solve the Snapchat filter not working problem. However, the issue is minor and can be solved by following a few simple steps.
I hope the article has everything covered which helped you solve the problem and let you take snaps using filters without any problems. In case, you have any further article-related queries or doubts, comment to us on Twitter or Facebook.
Harjeet is a professional blogger who loves to write blogs about Android & iOS-related topics. She dedicated her 2+ years in the technology field, tackling all kinds of issues, errors and other problems. Currently, she is contributing to Android Data Recovery Blogs to guide users to solve several Android-related issues or any other problems. Before working for Android Data Recovery, she freelanced for various sites. Apart from writing, Harjeet is a music lover and fond of reading books.