Have you encountered a “can’t play video” error while playing your favorite content on your phone or online? If Yes, this article will let you know why phone won’t play videos and provide you with definite solutions to fix can’t play this video Android.
Well, this is a common problem that Android users face once in a while when playing videos on their phones or online. However, this can be fixed with a few simple troubleshooting.
So, let’s get started…
To fix Android-related problems, we recommend this tool:
This effective tool can fix Android issues such as boot loop, black screen, bricked Android, etc. in no time. Just follow these 3 easy steps:
- Download this Android System Repair tool (for PC only) rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
- Launch the program and select brand, name, model, country/region, and carrier & click Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions & wait for repair process to complete.
Why Phone Won’t Play Videos?
There can be several reasons why you can’t play videos on your Android phone. Check out the below-listed reasons:
- Slow internet connection
- Insufficient storage space
- Corrupt video file
- Outdated player
- Damaged or Corrupt SD Card
- Android OS is not up-to-date
Now, that you know the reasons for this problem. Let’s move on to the next section to find out the viable solutions to fix this issue.
How To Fix “Can’t Play This Video” Android?
Solution 1: Use Stable Internet
If you are trying to play videos online but YouTube videos not playing on Android phone, make sure you use stable and strong internet. Online video streaming requires more than enough bandwidth to play smoothly without interruption.
So, here check your internet speed through SpeedTest and troubleshoot it if found weak:
- Turn on & off Airplane mode on your phone.
- Switch to the WiFi network or vice versa.
- Enjoy fast and interruption-free internet with a wired connection.
- Keep the source device nearer to the client device.
Also Read: WiFi Keeps Disconnecting Android
Solution 2: Restart Your Android Phone
Sometimes a simple restart of your phone can fix issues with video playback. Therefore, we suggest you start with a simple yet effective solution which is restarting your phone.
Here’s what you need to follow:
- Long hold the Power button on your phone.
- Tap on the Restart option.
- Wait for your device to restart and then try playing the video.
Solution 3: Clear Space on Your Phone
Low memory on the device can also be the major reason why are videos not playing in my gallery. Here, you can resolve such a case by clearing unwanted or unused files, photos, videos, documents, or apps.
You can also clear the app data cache on which you can’t play the video. Here, are the steps to clear the video player app cache (e.g YouTube).
- On your Android phone, launch Settings.
- Then, go to App Management.
- On the app list, navigate to the YouTube app.
- Click on the Storage usage option.
- Lastly, tap the Clear data & Clear cache options.
Also Read: How to Empty Trash on Android?
Solution 4: Try Playing Video Using Different Video Player
Another thing you can try is to play videos using a different video player. This will let you know whether the problem lies with the player or the video itself. You can use MX Player, VLC Player or BS Player, and others from Google Play Store.
If the video plays using a different player, you would come to know that the problem is with the player that you were using to play the video earlier. This can be resolved following solution 6.
And if you still facing issue playing video on another player also, it indicates that video is the problem. In such a case, go for the next solution to resolve the issue.
Solution 5: Download the Video Again from Reliable Source
It’s possible the video you have downloaded is corrupt and which is why you are unable to play it on your phone. So, in such a case, we suggest you download the video again from a reliable source and then try playing it to see if the problem is resolved.
Solution 6: Update the Video Player App
If you are using the outdated version of the video player app, it’s possible that you won’t be able to play the video due to compatibility issues.
Here, download the latest version of the video player and then try playing the video. Below are the following steps to do so:
- Open Play Store on your Phone.
- Tap on the Profile icon and choose Manage apps & devices.
- Head to the Updates section, and check for the YouTube app update.
- If found, tap the Update button to install the latest version.
- Once installed, launch the app and try playing the video to see if it’s playing this time or not.
Solution 7: Reset App Preferences
Incorrect app preferences can sometimes be the reason why phone won’t play videos. Therefore, try resetting app preferences on your phone to fix the problem and play the videos.
Below are the following instructions to follow:
- Open Settings on your device.
- Go for the Apps category.
- Tap on the three dots icon and select the option Reset app preferences.
- Click on Reset Apps for final confirmation.
After doing this, try to play the videos that were not playing before.
Solution 8: Uninstall Insecure Apps from Phone
You might have installed some apps from illegal websites or from an untrusted source. This may show a “can’t play video” error. So, you need to remove such apps from the phone to play videos uninterruptedly.
Solution 9: Update Android OS
Another possible way to fix this problem is by updating your phone’s OS. Generally, it happens that some videos don’t play because Android OS is not up to date.
Follow the steps as mentioned:
- Launch Settings on your Android phone.
- Head to the Software update category.
- Here, check if any update is available.
- If there, tap on the Download Now button to start installing the latest version.
Recommended: Resolve Android-Related Issues with Android Repair Tool
If you are looking for a reliable tool to fix Android-related problems, Android Repair Tool is the best-recommended software.
The tool is highly designed for Android devices to fix its issue with a few simple clicks. It can fix any errors and problems concerning apps crashing, OS crashing, blue/black screen, update failed, and various others.
It has a high success rate and is 100% safe to use. Its simple interface makes it easier to use for a non-technical person.
So, here comes the end of this post. I hope, now you have better understood why phone won’t play videos and how to deal with such video playback problems.
If you find any further queries or doubts, ask us on Twitter.
Henry Morgan is a professional blogger who loves to write blogs about Android & iOS related topics. He lives in Northern California and has almost 15 years of experience in the field of technology, tackling all kind of issues, errors or other problems. Currently he is a great contributor on Android Data Recovery Blogs and his blogs are loved by people where he guides to solve several Android related issues or any other problems. During his busy schedule, Henri finds some moments to spend time with his family and loves to play cricket.