Google assistant also called “OK Google” is one of the latest technologies that perform several activities such as telling you daily news and weather report, launching music, and apps, and making calls for you. However, users are recently reporting for “OK Google not working” problem. Well, when such issues occur, try fixing them by rebooting your device, checking your microphone, updating all your Google-related apps, etc. Also, read the article for more workarounds.
The problem is common and can be solved easily with proper and correct guidance. So, here we are with this article covering all the workarounds to help you escape this issue.
To fix any Android related issues, we recommend this tool:
This effective tool can fix Android issues such as boot loop, black screen, bricked Android, etc. in no time. Just follow these 3 easy steps:
- Download this Android System Repair tool (for PC only) rated Excellent on Trustpilot.
- Launch the program and select brand, name, model, country/region, and carrier & click Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions & wait for repair process to complete.
How does “OK Google” Works?
The technology works on the voice. It listens to the voice, understands the request, and acts accordingly. It is most popular among Android users because of its smooth performance and understanding capability. You don’t have to type on your phone as it works simply on speaking.
OK Google has eased the Android device’s user interface. As users can simply get information on weather reports or news with simple voice requests. Moreover, it also performs calling, messaging, and app launching on behalf of the user on one request.
Why is My “OK Google Assistant Not Working”?
Well, there can be numerous reasons behind this issue. Below we have mentioned the possible reasons for such problem occurrence.
- Google fails to recognize your voice- If you are trying to make a request to OK Google in a crowded place, it cannot work. In such a situation, Google Assistant might find difficulty recognizing the words or voice due to overlapping voices and failing to process the request.
- Malfunctioned or problematic microphone- At times, your phone’s mic can also cause such a problem. If it’s not working properly or got malfunctioned, OK Google won’t work.
- Android device’s bugs- If currently your device is facing lagging issues or is working abruptly, it might end up causing OK Google to stop working.
- Outdated related Google Apps- As Google Assistant is related to the Google app, hence a single problem on the app or an outdated app can stop OK Google from working.
- Incorrect language Setting- In case, the set language is different from the language on which you are making a request, you can get OK Google not working on Android
How to Fix OK Google Not Working On Android?
Solution 1: Restart Your Android Phone
When you come across such an issue on Android after updating to Android 10 then the easiest way to get rid of the problem is by restarting your Android phone once. This is suggested by many experts because restarting solves several issues like bugs or any hardware problem without any further problems.
If restarting does not help you to fix the OK Google not working issue then try the other solution.
Solution 2: Force Stop Google App
The app itself sometimes hangs and does not work smoothly. This happens when you have updated your device to a new version or due to some bugs.
So the best solution is to “Force Stop” the app by going to App Settings on your Android phone.
Whenever any new update is done on phone then there is a chance that the OK Google command does not work. So, after stopping the app forcefully, again start the app and check if the Google Assistant working or not.
Solution 3: Check Your Internet Connection
Another thing you need to ensure is that you must have a strong and stable internet connection to make Google Assistant work smoothly without any interruption.
So, if your device’s internet connection is slow, you are going to have trouble with such a problem. Follow the instructions below to stabilize your internet connectivity in case found slow:
- If using mobile data, check your current data usage. If exceeded the limit, boost the pack with an add-on data package and try using OK Google.
- In case having enough data, but facing slow connectivity, turn off & on your cellular data or flight mode to resolve the slow internet issue.
- If you are on Wi-Fi, try fixing the internet may not be available issue by re-establishing your Wi-Fi connection or placing the source device nearer to the client device.
- Use a wired connection instead of a wireless one to have a more stable and strong internet connection.
Solution 4: Try Speaking Clearly And in Less Crowded Place
If after trying the above solutions, the problem doesn’t fix, try speaking clearly and in a less crowded place. Most of the time Google Assistant finds difficulty recognizing the voice in crowded surroundings. So, try this solution once and see if the problem is solved.
Solution 5: Clear the Cache of the Google App
You might know that whatever app you use on your phone, Google generates the cache of that particular app. The cache files run an application smoothly but these files get corrupted sometimes and this is also one of the reasons for coming across the above error.
So, it’s better to clear the cache of the Google Assistant app by following the below steps:
- First, go to Settings.
- Then search and click on Installed Applications.
- Search for Google here and select the Storage usage option.
- Next, tap the Clear cache option.
- After that, find and click on the Manage space option.
- Choose Clear all data.
Solution 6: Turn Off Bixby [For Samsung Users]
If you are using a Samsung device, then you can also come across OK Google not working issue.
If yes then you can solve this problem by disabling Bixby’s wake-up voice so that you can use OK Google on Samsung phone. And the best thing is to turn off everything from a Samsung phone that is termed as Bixby or S voice.
Solution 7: Make Sure That OK Google Command Is Enabled
When you come across such an issue then also make sure that the app is enabled. If not then turn on the app by following the below steps:
- First, click and hold the Home button.
- Then click the Compass icon that is at the bottom right
- Now click on a Profile picture.
- After that, click on Settings > Assistant.
- Move down to the Assistant device and click on your device. And if your Google app version is 7.1 and below then you can say “OK Google” anytime.
- Now at the top, toggle on Google Assistant.
- Here, in the Voice Match section, toggle on the option button for Access with Voice match.
Solution 8: Check Your Phone’s Microphone
You know very well that Google Assistant is a voice-based system that depends on a smartphone’s microphone. So, you should ensure that your phone microphone is in good condition.
Many times, the faulty mic can be the problem and you can come across OK Google not working on Android 10 error message. If your phone mic is not working then just open any recording app and then record your voice. If you get any problem with the sound feature then there might be a problem with it and so you should repair it immediately.
Solution 9: Turn Off Adaptive Battery And Battery Saver Option
If you are coming across Google Assistant not working issue then it may be due to the device’s adaptive battery and battery-saver features that is stopping the ability to detect OK google phrase.
Check out the steps below to turn off both features:
- First, go to the Settings app
- Then click on the Battery option.
- For Adaptive battery: click on Adaptive Battery > toggle Use Adaptive Battery off
- For Battery Saver: click on Battery Saver > click on Turn off now
Solution 10: Reinstall Google App
As I have told you earlier that clearing the cache can solve the issue but still if you come across the issue then once reinstall the Google app on your phone. Doing this is a chance that you can get rid of the error message on your smartphone.
Uninstalling the app is quite simple but it depends on the device that you using. You can also follow the below steps to uninstall and reinstall the app once again.
- First, open the Google Play store and look for Google.
- Then click on the result marked in the picture above and click on the “Uninstall” button.
- After that, restart your phone and repeat the same process. Here you have to click on the “Install” option and now check if the same problem is occurring again.
Solution 11: Check Your Language Settings
Language Settings is also one of the possible that can lead to OK Google not working on Android 10. When you have selected the wrong language in Language Settings then you might come across the error as reported by several users:
- First, launch Google App and go to Settings
- Now click on the Voice option
- Then select the Language option from the list
- Now select the appropriate language from Voice Menu and that’s it.
Solution 12: Retrain Google Assistant Voice Model
If you are coming across OK Google not working issue then it may be due to a setting problem on the Voice command.
In such a situation, you need to train Google Assistant properly before you start it. For some unknown reasons, Google Assistant does not retrain the commands, therefore you have to train OK Google voice command properly otherwise Google Assistant might not identify your voice.
So you should retrain your Google Assistant by following the below commands:
- First, open the Settings menu and then go to Voice
- Now click on the Voice option and choose Voice Match
- Then click on Retrain Voice Model and repeat OK Google and Hey Google when asked
Recommended: Android Repair Tool
Many times, it has been found that your Android’s internal issues cause most of the issues and errors. Therefore, we here suggest you use our professional Android Repair tool to solve Android-related problems.
The software has proven effective and is capable of fixing any errors such as the app keeps crashing, black/blue screen of death, system update/download failure, setting has stopped etc.
FAQs Related to OK Google
How to activate Ok Google on Android device?
To activate Google Assistant on your Android phone, follow the instructions below:
- Launch Google App on your Android phone.
- Next, click on your Profile icon.
- Scroll down and select the Settings option.
- Navigate to the Voice category and select it.
- Then, click on the Voice Match option.
- Toggle on the button next to Hey Google to activate it.
- Now, follow the onscreen option as per your preference.
- Next, you will get the Voice model option, tap to retrain your voice, and save it for OK Google to recognize whenever spoken.
How to reset OK Google?
Long hold or press the microphone mute button on your Android phone for 15 seconds. Then, your Google Home will let you know that it's resetting.
So, these are some of the best ways to solve OK Google not working problem. I hope the above solutions worked for you and you are able to use Ok Google once again without any further issues.
If you are having any further queries or doubts related to this article or the topic, do comment us on our official Twitter page and get the best answers.
James Leak is a technology expert and lives in New York. Previously, he was working on Symbian OS and was trying to solve many issues related to it. From childhood, he was very much interested in technology field and loves to write blogs related to Android and other OS. So he maintained that and currently, James is working for androiddata-recovery.com where he contribute several articles about errors/issues or data loss situation related to Android. He keeps daily updates on news or rumors or what is happening in this new technology world. Apart from blogging, he loves to travel, play games and reading books.